Behind a familiar, and until recently somewhat neglected, local facade, better known as the Drill Hall, lie the original Victorian Faversham Assembly Rooms.
Faversham’s Assembly Rooms in Preston Street were built in the 1830s and many social gatherings took place including balls, banquets and music recitals.
In 2010 a charitable trust, the Faversham Buildings Preservation Trust, was formed to buy the Rooms. The purchase was made possible with the help of a substantial loan from the Architectural Heritage Fund and the site was transferred to the Trust’s ownership at the end of April 2011.
May 2011 saw the launch of a six year plan to restore this magnificent Victorian hall to the splendour reflected in the painting of it in 1853. This ambition will rely to a great extent on public contributions and grants. However, on completion the Rooms provide a wonderful new community facility and venue for the performing arts. Despite early days the space has already been used for several successful events.